Ten of our favorites you might have missed last month
January 31, 2019 by Bennett Wineka in Coverage, News, Video with 0 comments
Disc golf, professional and otherwise, is getting bigger all the time and that means it’s busier than ever. It can be hard to keep up with everything. That’s where our Monthly Dime comes in, where we find and review 10 of the best and sometimes random disc golf related things that caught our attention each month. While we won’t pretend to be able to provide a comprehensive accounting of everything that has happened, we’ll do our best to keep this both informative and fun.
1. Technically, this “tournament” is from the end of December, but it didn’t work its way to us until January. And we are glad it did. Props to dad for putting on the event for his kids and having the patience to cut a superb commentary track. The scoring graphics are probably our favorite part.
2. This month saw a lot of new plastic hit the market, and with it a lot of people posting their disc hauls. Let’s just say, it got a bit repetitive.
3. Also happening this month, some really frickin’ cold weather. It’s actually happening right now. It hasn’t stopped one mad man in the midwest from continuing an insane streak of playing at least 18 holes of disc golf a day for almost 2,000 consecutive days. Respect, Michael Wright. And a shoutout to Dan Schnabel as well for playing the coldest recorded round in UDisc history.
4. Several pros have escaped the cold weather and ventured down south to Puerto Rico. Cale Leiviska and Paul Oman made sure to set a basket up on the island of Culebra and the world’s most beautiful beach while they were vacationing. Nate Perkins and Alyssa Van Lanen are now down there soaking up some sun rays, and Avery Jenkins is also en route.
Puerto Rico officially has it’s first disc golf basket as of last week! I had this orange beauty shipped down there and we put a handful of putters in it and left it set up on Flamenco beach for two weeks. It was awesome to see how many people would stop and throw some putts as they walked by, Many of whom had never seen a disc golf basket before. Mi amigo Eduardo is going to permanently install it in front of his villas so it will be the first basket in the Caribbean. Hopefully the first of many… Stop by and leave a sticker on it if you visit Culebra! #flamencobeach #airborndiscgolf #prodigydisc #discgolf #culebra #puertorico
THIS is where I've been hiding for the last week in Puerto Rico, getting ready for the 2019 season. This is the first disc golf basket on the Puerto Rican island of Culebra. I took this photo for @airborndiscgolf along with an amazing close up of the basket with a huge wave crashing behind. You'll have to wait to see that on his website though ? #AVImages #DiscGolfTourist
5. Back to others still stuck in cold weather, they’re making the best of it.
Posted by Adam Ruddock on Sunday, January 13, 2019
6. Ok, we know we said there was some mail call fatigue, but does anyone have an opinion on the design cues the new Paul McBeth Discraft line may have taken? Meh, we actually don’t really care now that we think about it.
7. We do wish some companies could bring back some of these designs though. We’d take about 20 of these retro disc golf shirts.
8. Ricky Wysocki was putting in some face time with pro athletes from other sports all month. First, he runs into Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers at a grocery store, then he played a round with Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Casey DeSmith while he was in town.
It was great playing a round with @cdesmith1 this week. Got the chance to play and help him out with his game. He’s got good form and a lot of passion for the game. Also great to see the @penguins get the W while in town. • • • #sockibomb #caseydesmith #discgolf #discgolflife #growthesportdiscgolf
9. A quick aside just to mention how happy we are that tournament season is starting up. The offseason may not be long but we are seriously jonesing for some video coverage. Thank goodness there are so many crews out there now. Looking at you, GK Productions, Local Route, and everyone else rolling out some quality footage.
10. We can’t pick up a spare with a bowling ball, let alone a disc like homeboy can.