Final Round Recap
September 14, 2020 by Bennett Wineka in Recap with 0 comments
Maple Hill hosted heavyweight battles during the final round of the MVP Open that befitted the legendary venue.
- Paul McBeth was two strokes behind Ricky Wysocki heading into Sunday, setting up a showdown we’ve seen many times between two of the generation’s best. Wysocki pushed his advantage to four strokes with a two-stroke swing on hole 5, but before the lead card made the turn the lead was tied, as Wysocki gave up all four strokes on the following three holes. McBeth took the lead for the first time on hole 10, and didn’t give it up. McBeth would win with a 23-under par, four strokes ahead of second place Wysocki, after shooting a tournament-best 10-under par.
- Going 100% from Circle 1X during the final 18 holes, and adding a couple C2 putts and a showstopping birdie on hole 18 to cap a weekend of highlights, McBeth finished first in fairway hits, second in C1X putting, and third in C2 putting and finding C2 in regulation over three rounds. Wysocki actually found C1X in regulation at a higher rate than McBeth did in the final round, but McBeth’s C2 was higher, and Wysocki only found C1 in regulation three times on the back 9, including the final two holes which were his only birdies on the back.
- Over the first two rounds, Wysocki recorded 13 birdies over the back 9. He had two birdies on Sunday, on holes 17 and 18, when McBeth was carrying a four stroke lead.
- Calvin Heimburg nabbed his fourth DGPT podium of the season, and first since the Preserve Championship, with a 5-under final round. Kyle Klein also held onto his fourth place showing with a matching 5-under par. It’s Klein’s first top five showing at an Elite Series pro event.
- The big jump of the day came from Casey White, whose 7-under par was the second hottest round moved him 17 spots up into a tie for 14th.
- Qualifying for the USDGC were: Casey White (T-14th), Mike Sale (T-14th), Eric Oakley (T-18th), Josh Dibattista (T-20th), and Mike Carman (T-25th)
MVP open Jomez Final Round Front 9
MVP Open Jomez Final Round Back 9
Gatekeeper MVP Open Final Round Front 9
Gatekeeper MVP Open Final Round Back 9